Friday, September 16, 2011

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas

   I know, I know, it's unusual for me to post a review on a book that is NOT young adult fiction, but due to the complete AWESOMENESS of this classic, I couldn't resist. So here goes....
       "A Roman soldier, Marcellus, wins Christ's robe as a gambling prize. He then sets forth on a quest to find the truth about the Nazarene's robe-a quest that reaches to the very roots and heart of Christianity and is set against the vividly limned background of ancient Rome. Here is a timeless story of adventure, faith, and romance, a tale of spiritual longing and ultimate redemption." (Review from Amazon.com)


    To start, I have to admit that I have read and re-read The Robe at least half a dozen times in the last four years. So I am very biased in favor of reading it.  To those who are opposed to Christianity, this book should not bother you too much. But to those who are Christian's or interested in the christian religion I must warn you that the theology in the book is not perfectly correct.  Since this is my review though, I will not go into detail into why is it not correct. 
    Now for the review.  The Robe starts rather slow and the language/writing style, although not hard on Shakespeare or Dickens terms, is very difficult to read. Personally, I find his rich and detailed style very fascinating. Douglas describes everything with great mental illustrations, making the stories unfold vividly. His characters are realistic and believable.  The love between Marcellus and Diana sweet and authentic. But as much as I enjoy the romances in books, in the Robe the relationship I  relish the most is Marcellus and his slave/best friend Demetrius.  Their friendship goes much deeper than the average slave/master relationship.  The two are closer than brothers, best friends and both are willing to die for the other.  Although Demetrius started as Marcellus's slave, by the end they are like kinsmen.  Their friendship is so strong and heart warming that it almost makes me teary. I might also add, that all the character's relationships with others are relate-able and true.  As for the plot, nothing could possibly be so funny, despairing and touching as The Robe's tale.  Twisting and raw the Robe puts life in the early Christian's days in a new light.  It brings history to life as it tells stories of various Roman Emperors, including Little Boots and shows how roman politics worked.  The Robe is nothing less than a masterpiece. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment